- You have a few inbuilt ways which allow the body and mind communicate fast – this has been needed from the evolutionary point of view to ensure our survival. When running from a sabretooth or being ready to fight the enemy tribe.
- These include your nervous, hormonal and immune systems (also called Psycho-Neuro-Immunology or PNI) which talk to each other continually in order to mobilise you in an emergency. These ‘internal telephony providers’ are:
Hormonal network: via stress hormones and neurotransmitters (made in the body but affecting the mind as well), e.g. irritable bowel, shortness of breath when anxious, pain being worse when bereaved or getting more colds when feeling lonely or isolated.
Neurological network: via nervous system signalling, using main nerves (like the vagus) or coping tools (behaviour patterns, expectations or emotional operating systems), e.g. getting diarrhoea or constipation when stressed, feeling exhausted when depressed, or eating for comfort.
Immune system network: often shared with the above, orchestrated by various chemicals locally and throughout the body, e.g. feeling defensive when dealing with an immune threat, or irritable when faced with a viral, bacterial or fungal infection.
- But there are also two additional ‘message channels’ which contribute to the continual cross-talk within your body. These consist of:
Your MICROBIOME (the different strains of bacteria in your gut, mouth and other moist places) – these communicate with every other system within the body, every organ and cell, let alone specific molecules within each of the above systems.
The energetic signatures of your emotions, thoughts, beliefs, memories, traumas, etc. – which create charges that can settle anywhere in the body mind or your aura, and impact on your health you even if they have come from previous generations or universal consciousness (emotions are often described energy-in-motion).
So you can see you are more than connected to everything within you. Over and above sensing all things internally, you are also linked to everything outside of you as your senses are engaging in all that surrounds you in both physical and energetic terms (quantum entanglement). As a result of this dynamic, you continuously manifest the outcomes of these interactions in your body mind. And the way you interpret them defines whether they show as health or discomfort. But this is the subject for a separate blog to come.
When you have been suffering from a health issue for a while, you may be asking yourself a question: why? Why have I not managed to get better despite the treatment prescribed by my doctor? Why have I ‘had’ it that long? Why is it happening to me?
There are many reasons why one’s health is where it is and it is not always a state beyond our control or out of our ability to change it.
You may have been ignoring the signals your body has been giving you for a while before you decided to seek help. You may have not implemented what was recommended as you were too busy to remember about it. Or you may simply have not bothered to go to your doctor or therapist for advice. Or you have been doing everything as suggested and still not getting any relief or resolution of your concerns.
Over and above those, your health may have not improved because you were happy to abdicate your responsibility for it. It does not matter who to, whether it is your doctor, partner (to typically nag you to seek medical help), parent or a therapist. No one can actually do it, even the best of us – your wellness, let alone ill health, is an inside job! And being honest with yourself about it is the first big step to make if your really wish to get better.
There are many potential saboteurs which can jeopardise the possibility of your getting back to full health:
- If you have been told that you will always suffer from your illness or symptom by a person whose expertise you respect and adopt his or her opinion as your own truth, your mind may not be prepared to even contemplate the possibility, let alone give your body the opportunity to experience anything else.
- You may be viewing the world through the prism of fear rather than as challenges and exciting opportunities. Once ill, things can only get worse – you may be thinking.
- It may be easier for you to identify yourself with the diagnosed illness than to look within for its true cause. Using phrases like: ‘I have diabetes, arthritis, or ulcers’ or any other disease is a warning sign to look out for: do you really wish to claim ownership of a problem? Or would you rather consider it as a passing stage during which your body is expressing something it wants you to take notice of?
- You may have found that those around you are more sympathetic to you when you are not well and you can count on their favours as a result of being incapacitated. So it is more convenient for you to stay that way.
- You may dread change and cling onto what is familiar to you. Even the possibility that you may get well is terrifying as this is not a familiar territory to you so you prefer to remain where you are and not change anything.
- It may be too scary for you to make changes as a result of your insights, be it looking for a new job, changing the dynamics of personal relationships, or any physical arrangements you may need to make to address the factors that precipitated your ill health.
- You may have adopted limiting beliefs about the future, possibilities and illness vs health or share those with your larger or smaller social group. Changing these may mean concerns about losing your ‘identity’ and being excluded from your circle of friends, family or work colleagues as they have always known or thought of you, so you think, as say ‘the man with pain in his back’ or ‘the lady with period pains’.
- You may just not wish to become responsible for your health and prefer to leave it in the hands of ‘external’ medical care providers. After all they are the experts, aren’t they? They studied medicine for 7 years and should know how to ‘mend’ me!
- You find the disease allows you to prove that you were right that there was a ‘real’ reason of your not feeling well. Who likes being wrong especially if this may mean admitting it!
All the above excuses are the so called ‘subjective gains’ keeping you where you are and preventing you from moving forwards to allow you to live your life to the full. There can be many others and only you know what they are in your particular case. So becoming ruthlessly honest with yourself is paramount if you wish to seriously embark on your journey to better health and optimum wellbeing (which is NOT just absence of dis-ease).
BUT all is not lost. Enter Body Mind Insights, where you can be assisted in exploring your health problems in a safe healing space. Your health challenges are explored with you as an active participant in the process of healing process. Your health is viewed from the point of view of personalised, wholistic and integrative perspective. Personalised since every aspect your health speaks volumes about you and you alone and the diagnosis of your ‘condition’ is only partly relevant here. Wholistic, since all parts of you are considered as parts of your whole body mind, which continually communicate with each other. Integrative, as various methods and healing modalities are brought into the room in order to arrive at the best picture of all underlying imbalances which lead to the health issues as experienced by you.
Our eyes, ears and intuition become your new friends: they help us analyse the background of your complaints and ask your body mind how best to resolve them. This is exactly where your self-healing potential comes in and what we focus on. This enables your body’s innate wisdom to make corrections where problems are found, re-establish communication where it is broken, and watch your natural awareness change and materialise as your improved health.
Here your beliefs can enhance as well as limit the effectiveness of the treatment and your healing response. We are not talking about having faith: only about being open to perhaps changing those which no longer serve you. Ultimately, if you think you will, or if you think you won’t benefit from it, your inner truth is what is going to manifest in your body, really.
Becoming aware of where the problems came from is the gift of insight gained into the nature of your health predicament is the first step.
Being ready to make the necessary changes to your lifestyle habits as a result of these insights is the next. This way you even have the power to improve the expression of your genes, let alone improve or resolve your ‘surface’ complaints.
Good health and happiness are your birth right. Are you ready to embrace responsibility for your own wellbeing and start on your journey to optimum health?